Sunday, April 15, 2012

Earth Run 2012

grabbed from pinoyfitness.com

This is the fourth edition of Earth run and this is the 3rd time that i joined this event. The first edition was held May 2009 with three categories 3k,5k,16k (10 mile). I ran my first mileage (3k) in this event and I never thought that this running craze of mine will start on that day hahaha. Anyways, what I'd like to highlight is how the organizer manage to maintain a reasonable registration fee for the past four years. This is probably one of the cheapest running events in the country. When the organizer announced that they will add the half marathon distance by year 2010, I was actually thinking of how they can pull off a good race with 350 registration fee for 21k. Though during that time I was not yet into long distance running,  my question is how far a 350 pesos go for a half marathon distance, will there be a lack of hydration, marshals? Is the race route safe enough for runners? will there be accurate distance and results? 

Well, I was able to answer these questions today after finishing my fifth half marathon race in this year's Earth Run. 

1. Will there be a lack of hydration, marshals?

There were actually sufficient hydration stations throughout the course (I think every 2km or 2.5km). No sports drink cited in this event (maybe no sponsor?). But hey, bananas are present and I was lucky to have one :) When it comes to marshals, I believe they have enough people to handle the crowd. The marshals are dispersed properly especially on critical areas like stop lights. I also noticed that there are marshals near the timing bar (splits records). They actually have pen and papers as if they are trying to record the race bib number of each runners who passed by on that particular splits. Direction markers are present but distance markers, none. When I claim my bag, the attendant even congratulate me for finishing the race. I smile and say thank you. It's actually a relief when someone you don't know recognized your effort :) 

2. Is the race route safe enough for runners?

It's safe because I wasn't able to run beside any vehicles.. hihi and since it's Sunday there are only few vehicles in BGC and Makati. But you know what, I am really not a fan of Kalayaan Flyover! hahaha!

3. Will there be accurate distance and results? 

My Garmin recorded 21.37 kilometers in this race (di bale ng sobra wag lang kulang ^^). With regard to results, my chip time is 2:33:07 pretty close to my Garmin time 02:33:09 therefore, distance and timing are definitely accurate. 
7459731ROSE ANN JAMANDRON02:33:4202:33:07
-----
It just proves that we can actually put up a good race at reasonable price. A runner doesn't need to pay thousand of pesos to come up with quality event. Runner should be more practical and wise in choosing their races. On top of all, make sure it's for A CAUSE. Way to go Adevents Manila! :)

Earth Run Registration Fees:

2009
Registration Fee: Php 200 (all categories 3k, 5k, 16k)

2010
3k & 5K - Php 250.00

16k & 
21k
– Php 350.00

2011
3k / 5k / 10k = Php 600
21k = Php 650
Race Kit includes the following: Dri Fit Shirt, Race Bib & Belt & RFID tag.

2012
3K/5K/10K – Php 300
16K/21K – 
Php 400

Early Bird: (March 9 – April 1)

3K/5K/10K –  Php 250
16K/21K –  Php 350

Earth Run 2012 ~ 21K race route from my Garmin
16k and 21k finishers medal

singlet design
Earth Run 2012 Race results:

1 comment:

  1. Very good review, ang sad lang hindi ako nakatakbo... huhu!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...